Survey Says...

I pulled together some quick survey questions for my FYC students about using blogs and e-Portfolios. After reading the article, "Encouraging Self-Regulated Learning through Electronic Portfolios" I thought of questions I had for my students.
I'm already planning how next semester I want to include modified versions of these questions in my campus reviews so that students use that time to provide their feedback instead of asking them to fill out a separate survey.
Here is what I'm thinking/ planning based on their feedback:
Only 59% of students surveyed felt that peer-review helped them with their writing. I want to take the winter break to read a bit on how to effectively restructure the peer-reviews in the writing process my students use. From what I've noted, some students didn't really offer much feedback at all. In addition, I had some students blog about how frustrating peer-review was because they didn't receive any help. I've been thinking of replacing the first peer-review in the writing process to a writing tutor visit instead, and then late in the process have the peer-review. This will provide us time to practice low-stakes peer-review in class to get the feel of it. I keep thinking that in-class peer reviews on Google Docs is the best way to get truly effective feedback because I can be on multiple docs, and my presence will have that wretched, but ever-so-helpful, panopticon effect.
I was pleased that over 90% of students surveyed felt that writing multiple drafts aided them in being more aware of their writing skills which is what a process e-folio should do.
 Interestingly, only about 60% feel "more confident" about writing in college because of the e-folio experience while about 70% reported that writing "Final Draft Reflections" helped them understand their writing strengths and weaknesses. To increase these amounts, I've been thinking about adding more assigned blog posts during the semester to have students reflect throughout the writing process. They write a reflective blog post after their initial draft, one-one-one meeting with me, and then of course at the end, but perhaps I could add a couple more with very specific questions about their writing. Perhaps even in the brainstorming phase, an assigned blog post could ask students to create writing goals for the piece they are working on, focusing on audience, purpose and form. My students could then revisit that post throughout the process to gauge their success and recall their goals.
Close to 70% of my students agreed that they would like to keep using their "showcase" aspect of their e-folios for opportunities. I think I did not do a good job this semester with helping my students feel ownership of their e-folios, and customizing their e-folios came too late in the semester. I think the sooner students add their own personality to the folios, the more attached they will feel, resulting in more pride and effort, hopefully.